Courtesy Caledonian MacBrayne
CalMac Ferries Ltd (CFL) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of David MacBrayne Ltd, which is wholly owned by Scottish Ministers.
Previously operating as Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd, CalMac was created in October 2006 to bid for the Scottish Government contract to operate Clyde & Hebrides Ferry Services, which it subsequently won.
At the same time Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd changed its name to Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd (CMAL) and retained ownership of the vessels and piers which it leases to the operator of the Clyde & Hebrides Ferry services (currently CFL). CMAL is also wholly owned by Scottish Ministers but is entirely separate from CFL. Although they have the same shareholder, each has its own Board and their relationship is solely contractual.
CalMac Ferries Limited has one wholly owned subsidiary; Caledonian MacBrayne Crewing (Guernsey) Limited, which employs and supplies all sea going staff (approx 770) to CFL.
There are currently 27 routes within the network. In the 12 months to December 2014, nearly 4.7 million passengers, 1.1 million cars, 93,000 commercial vehicles on 130,000 annual sailings.
Caledonian MacBrayne has a long history stretching back more than 160 years. Its name is synonymous with the west coast of Scotland, providing vital lifeline ferry services and carrying millions of people each year to and from the islands and remote peninsular communities. It has been, and remains a major local employer, both on shore and at sea. This short history summarises the key milestones from its inception in the 1850s to the modern, award-winning operator it is today:
Caledonian MacBrayne started life in 1851 as a steamer company under the name of David Hutcheson & Co.
The main sphere of operation was from Glasgow through the Crinan Canal to Oban and Fort William and then on through the Caledonian Canal to Inverness.
In the late 1870’s the Hutcheson brothers retired leaving the firm in the hands of David MacBrayne to which the firm was renamed. Throughout the late 1870’s and 80’s the MacBrayne empire continued to expand with a mail run to Islay, Harris and North Uist from Skye and an Outer Isles run from Oban to Barra and South Uist.
In fairly quick succession new railways began to reach the West Coast – at Fort William, Kyle of Lochalsh and Mallaig and the fleet rosters were altered to meet the new situation. There followed a period of new ship building, largely for the mail routes to the islands and remote mainland communities.
Following the Great War of 1914 – 1918 David MacBrayne was operating a much-reduced fleet and this eventually resulted in the company’s withdrawal from the tender for the mail contract. Thanks to a rescue operation jointly with LMS Railway and Coast Lines Ltd a new company was formed – David MacBrayne (1928).
1948 saw the nationalisation of the LMS shares in the company and the acquisition of the ships. Five years later the state-owned Scottish Transport Group (STG) was formed to operate not only MacBrayne’s services but also those of the Caledonian Steam Packet Company (CSP) on the Clyde together with the dominant Scottish Bus Company.
Soon after, the shipping companies were amalgamated and renamed Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd; lorry services were operated by MacBrayne Haulage while David MacBrayne was retained for certain minor services. The CalMac vessels soon sported the red CSP lion in the yellow disc in the centre of the red funnel.
From the sixties to the mid-eighties many improvements and refinements took place in order to complete the modern roll on-roll off ferry revolution and ensure that all vessels were operated to the maximum levels of safety.
In 1990 Caledonian MacBrayne threw off the umbrella of STG and became wholly owned by the Secretary of State for Scotland (now the Scottish Government.)
In 2006 the then Scottish Executive, decided that under EU rules ferry services were required to be put out to tender, but this presented an issue as the vessels required to operate the services, and many of the ports to which services ran, were owned by Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd, giving it an unfair advantage over potential competitors.
The solution was to rename Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd as Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd (CMAL) in order to retain the vessels and ports in state ownership, and a separate ferry operations company, CalMac Ferries Ltd, was created. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of David MacBrayne Ltd, which is wholly owned by Scottish Ministers. (CMAL also retained ownership of the Caledonian MacBrayne brand, which CalMac uses as a trading name under licence from CMAL. The lion rampant device is also used by CFL with the permission of CMAL.)
CMAL is also wholly owned by Scottish Ministers and is based in Port Glasgow, Inverclyde. CFL and CMAL are two entirely separate entities. CFL provides certain services to CMAL under contractual arrangements.
In 2007 the contract to provide services under the Clyde and Hebrides Ferry Service (CHFS) was awarded to CalMac Ferries Ltd for a period of six years. CMAL leases the vessels and piers to the operator of the Clyde Hebrides Ferry services (currently CFL) and is also responsible for the procurement of new ships and the maintenance and development of port facilities in its ownership. (Some ports are owned by local authorities or private harbour trusts/ authorities.)
In 2013, Transport Scotland, which is part of Scottish Government, announced it was to extend the period of the CHFS contract by a further three years, and go out to tender for a new contract to commence in October 2016.